StatCounter

Monday, March 25, 2019

I OBSERVE HER

I OBSERVE HER

She wakes customarily with a smile
Her early morning pattern begins an easy pace, 
Turning the shades, as light fills space she prepares her morning coffee.
She sits in one of two window seats savouring her brew and thinking
Private contemplations as well as those I will hear later. 
Those quiet morning moments eventually lead to action and to prayer.
Short time passes, now she sits with her journal as she has for years
Filing anecdotes and disquiets, joys and prayers that I have never seen.
I have respected her so much that in all these fifty-two years together
I have never peeked. I probably never will, even if she leaves first.
I’m too afraid of what I’d find, perhaps ways I have disappointed.
And yet I reason we’ve made treasured memories,
They must be in there too. Perhaps I’ll never know. 
Her Bible, companion to her journal, informs her as she reads,
Helps her to interpret and assess what’s happening in her world.
Confidently now she unfolds her day, chores and phone calls, 
Grandchildren to pick up, friends to meet, shopping and meals.
Her schedule rapidly fills and tests her managed health.
Limitless ideas and lavish energy have been her trademarks
Ideas now must cope with more limited supplies. 

© Ron Unruh, March 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment