StatCounter

Wednesday, February 24, 2021

DAYS OLD, SHE SLEEPS

JWW Turner believed that poetry and painting flowered from the same fountain. I think he was correct, at least in my case. Here is the painting I completed to commemorate the birth of my granddaughter almost fourteen years ago to my much loved daughter in law Gina. The poem describes what I saw as I painted it. Composed December 2008  © Copyright by Ron Unruh


Long awaited she came, first a wife for a son
Then a daughter for them both


A sister for their boy.


She let me enter that chamber 


Where birth happens and is seen,


Not usually by fathers in law


But on this occasion I was there.


I saw Kadence come into the world 


A new sight for older eyes


Another life to love and nurture.


And now on one of those following days


The two girls sleep
Gina and her child.


'Kadence' meaning “with rhythm” 


Is rarely given
So Kadence with a K she is


A strident girl, a girl with a voice


A girl who will be heard


A girl who will sing and laugh 


And make parents proud


And give grandparents joy.


They sleep now, one only days old


But soon we will wonder where the years went.

 

No comments: