StatCounter

Sunday, April 3, 2022

OUR DEAR DAD

Thinking of my Dad. He enjoyed humour. His was subtle. He could make us smile. Like this moment when he was in his early 90’s. My brother Murray tells it as he experienced it. “It was the second to the last year of mom’s life. My patient dad never complained about the complications caused by the late stages of Alzheimer’s that mom was experiencing. She had become rather serious about packing belongings in boxes that she lined up on the bed. Anything and everything could be packed or unpacked depending on the moment. One day upon my arrival at their apartment, Dad asked me if I would like some coffee. I nodded affirmatively and he plugged in the kettle. Of course it was instant coffee but a good brand. I went to the cutlery drawer to fetch a spoon and found the cutlery gone. When I inquired where the forks, knives and spoons were, Dad said nonchalantly. "Oh, Tina must have packed them." Then with perfect timing and humour he added, "It really doesn't matter, she packed my teeth too."

- He left us at the age of 93 on May 1, 2008.   

No comments:

Post a Comment