StatCounter

Friday, July 17, 2009

Bob Skates

Winter temperatures in Hepburn, Saskatchewan can be as low as -30 to -40°C and wind can make temperatures feel even colder. Skating and Hockey was popular during the days of my early childhood yet these were outdoor sports.

I remember my bobskates. Have you heard of these? If that name is not familiar to you, you will nonetheless have likely seen these convenient attachments that enable a child to learn how to skate on two blades rather than one. I may have been three years old when I pushed my shaky little body around the slippery surface of the outdoor rink close to Main Street and close to my Uncle Harry’s hardware store.

The name bobskate derived from the same word used for bob-sleigh and bobsled. A bob was one of the wooden runners on the sleigh or skate.

No comments:

Post a Comment