StatCounter

Thursday, July 5, 2012

REUNION TOUR - Stage One - part 2 continued


We went to Montebello Park in St. Catharines. There, almost 45 years ago Christine and I posed for wedding photos, and today we posed again, happy, heavier, humid. The temperature today is close to 30 C. as it was on our wedding day.  The large pavilion evoked memories for me. It has a large area of hardwood flooring that has sometimes been used for concerts, dances and roller skating. On 

September 7th my brother Murray will celebrate his 65th birthday. When he was born in the General Hospital I was five years of age and with my mom and Murray in hospital, my father did a thoughtful thing. He purchased me a pair of roller skates, the kind that are strapped to shoes. He took me to Montebello Park ‘s pavilion and there almost alone, I learned to skate. It was a special treat by a proud father for his little boy who might have found that attention rather flattering when so much joy was being expressed for the arrival of this new brother.

Then following our walk through the park we went to Niagara on the Lake where at the famed, oldest golf course in Canada, we enjoyed a lunch. I had a massive corned beef on rye sandwich and a Kunzleman brew. The town is one the favourite places in all the world to Christine and me. The golf course and the restaurant sit on Canadian soil directly across the channel from Fort Niagara where in 1812, 100 years ago this year, Americans and British soldiers blasted away at each other.  

No comments:

Post a Comment