StatCounter

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

LOOKING FORWARD AT YEAR'S END


LOOKING FORWARD AT YEAR’S END

At precisely the stroke of twelve last night,
My birth year came to a progressive end.
Seven decades furnished to me to tend.
I reflect on them with grateful delight.
I crowded this gift of years with child’s
Play, aspiring art and a loving wife,
Came children, studies, work, a selfless life
Lived in service to others and God smiled.
Sounds immodest perhaps, I speak of call
From God to whom I’ve been obedient.
No option when seeing the greater gift
Of Jesus who by dying gave it all.
Here I am Jan 1 conscious I’ve been sent,
Years to invest and then divine uplift.

(Although I prefer free verse, I like the occasional challenge traditonal poetry. Here is a poem styled after the Scottish sonnet, with rhyming pattern of ABBA,ABBA, CDE,CDE and with ten syllables to each line) 

No comments:

Post a Comment