StatCounter

Monday, April 13, 2020

COVID RESPONSES & FLASHING BACK (a poem)


While expected to self-isolate 
My mind made a quick happy trip
To my boyhood a long life ago,
When I was content in a hole
That I myself dug
And where dreams lived
When I was six.
Higher than houses and nearby barns
In the crotch of our tallest tree,
I snuggled with wood with my small frame
At peace with the world and alone.
In need of no one else
Thirty feet high
When I was twelve.
Two weeks, three weeks, four weeks or two months
No shortage of neat things to do
As many as minutes of each day
No Internet or Nintendo.
Just bike, open air, open road
With a good pal
At age fifteen. 
I am glad that I lived when I did.
Modest pleasures were good enough,
Never envisioned anything more.
I’m alone and writing this verse,
I’m seventy-seven
And if God wills
Seventy-eight.
© Ron Unruh March 2020
Backstory: Playgrounds and public recreational facilities are closed and children’s default activities are indoors and electronic, and I am saddened that children are short on self-initiated notions of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment