StatCounter

Tuesday, May 21, 2019

BEFORE WINTER COMES

one possible cover for a book
A boy soprano I could sing, 
Unknown to me, this was my Spring. 
When my fam-ly was all and I was young
And my whole life was still a song unsung. 
My childhood was easy and bright and new
And boyhood concerns were extreme-ly few. 
Content with little I was happy then
Not knowing I could not feel this again.

To work I was a newcomer,
Did not think this was my Summer.
I graduated and I dated her,
Then marriage and children a seeming blur,
A home of our own and stability
Made fam-ly life one of tranquillity.
A fulfilling career sped by so fast
Before I knew it, four decades had passed.

Told myself I’d not hit bottom,
This was a blast, this was Autumn.
As coloured leaves fell and cooler winds blew,
Formal work wound down and leisure tasks grew,
My focus was canvas, brushes and paint,
another cover option, front & back panels & my original painting
Even an artist can live like a saint.
My remaining thin hair turned white with age,
Paintings sales replaced a regular wage.

Poem done, on goes the printer
Must be ready, here comes Winter.
Must finish my books, my fam-ly hist-ry,
What follows next is still a mystery.
My entire life long I have lived in trust
That God will be near when my shell is dust.
Be patient with me as my mem-ry fades
Know I loved you when death pulls down the shades.

© Ron Unruh, May 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment