StatCounter

Friday, May 3, 2019

I SHAVED MY BEARD OFF

BEARDLESS - Not until I retired did I grow a beard. I have been whiskered for 11 yrs, until today (May 3, 2019). Yep, I shaved. Gone. Christine and I have spoken and hugged, cheek to cheek. She has not noticed. I imagine her saying to herself, “He looks good. I don’t know what it is, but he looks younger.” This afternoon a neighbour saw me & first comment, “your beard is gone.” I’ll see how long it takes for Christine to catch on.

24 hrs. later, she still didn’t notice so I wrote the poem below ... Then at the 36th hour, Christine told me “I’ve been meaning to tell I noticed you shave your beard off. You do look younger, but there’s something about the beard. It makes a statements, rather sophisticated.” She asked, “so did you shave this morning?” I answered, “No, yesterday morning. All day and evening and all of today we have talked, look closely at one another and you did not see.” She laughed with me, and then said, ”Well, you never notice when I get my hair cut.” touché.

HAIRY & SMOOTH
Today I can repeat the words 
that Esau’s brother Jacob said
When he spoke to his mother
About his brother’s head.

Saying, “Esau’s a hairy man,
That is what young Jacob told her,
“Whereas, I am a smooth man”
His head on her shoulder.

Eleven years I’ve worn a beard
Was always okay but prickly 
That’s what Christine said to me
I may bring it back
Thought she’d notice quickly.

When yesterday I shaved it off
I waited for her to see it.
She would notice right away. 
I could guarantee it.

I was wrong and I’m still surprised
That she has not seen the diff’rence
She loves me so very much
She looks past appearance.

 © Ron Unruh, May 3, 2019
as if anyone else would want to claim authorship.
Genesis 27:11, Jacob & Esau




No comments:

Post a Comment