Saturday, October 11, 2008

Thanksgivng Monday is Coming

Mondays were always good for me. Typically Monday was the preacher’s day off. I practiced that in my early years as a pastor. Over time I realized I was still hot-wired from Sunday so I took a different day off. I found Monday to be very productive days. For some people Mondays are the worst day of the week.

In their 1966 hit song, the Mamas and the Papas sang ‘Monday, Monday’ Can’t trust that day. Monday Monday, sometimes it just turns out that way. Oh Monday morning, you gave me no warning of what was to be.... Every other day, every other day, Every other day of the week is fine, yeah. But whenever Monday comes, but whenever Monday comes, You can find me cryin' all of the time.’

What will this coming Monday bring? It’s Thanksgiving Monday in Canada. When the Stock markets worldwide closed on Friday it was clear that the monetary malaise is now global. It’s Saturday but Monday is coming. What investor responses will be produced with the opening gavels in major cities on Monday? Get this! Chrysler and General Motors are reported to have held merger talks already or an acquisition of Chrysler by GM. Are you concerned yet? Don’t be. You likely didn’t know that Cerberus Capital Management, the private equity firm owns 80.1 per cent of Chrysler and 51 per cent of GMAC Financial Services. It will simply receive GM’s remaining 49% in GMAC. So it goes. Someone described this as the Hindenburg merging with the Titanic. What will they call it? Cry-Motors.

BMO Mutual Funds are still running an ad that says ‘Welcome to Worry-Free Investing’ I don’t think so! On the 14th, the day after Monday, which governing party will be mandated to help us? As of October 9th Harris-Decima, Nanos Research, EKOS Research Associates and Angus Reid all poll a Conservative win ranging from 33-36% compared to a Liberal 24-27% and NDP 18-22%.

Rainy Days and Mondays, was recorded on an album in 1971 by Karen and Richard Carpenter.
Talkin' to myself and feelin' old / Sometimes I'd like to quit / Nothing ever seems to fit / Hangin' around / Nothing to do but frown / Rainy Days and Mondays always get me down.
What I feel has come and gone before / No need to talk it out / We know what it's all about / Hangin' around / Nothing to do but frown / Rainy Days and Mondays always get me down.

Not me! Members of our extended family will be at our home for a Thanksgiving Dinner. It will be wonderful Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment