StatCounter

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Days Old , She Sleeps.

A NEW LEARNING
JWW Turner believed that poetry and painting flowered from the same fountain. I think he was correct, at least in my case. Here is the painting I have just recently completed to commemorate the birth of my granddaughter two years ago to my much loved daughter in law Gina. The poem describes what I saw as I painted it.

DAYS OLD, SHE SLEEPS

Long awaited she came, first a wife for a son
Then a daughter for them both
A sister for their boy.
She let me enter that chamber
Where birth happens and is seen,
Not usually by fathers in law
But on this occasion I was there.
I saw Kadence come into the world
A new sight for older eyes
Another life to love and nurture.
And now on one of those following days
The two girls sleep
Gina and her child.
'Kadence' meaning “with rhythm”
Is rarely given
So Kadence with a K she is
A strident girl, a girl with a voice
A girl who will be heard
A girl who will sing and laugh
And make parents proud
And give grandparents joy.
They sleep now, one only days old
But soon we will wonder where the years went.

Kadence this Christmas is two years of age.

No comments:

Post a Comment