StatCounter

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Make it Skip Daddy

A NEW LEARNING
My best Christmas gift this year was the one I gave myself. I did a painting for my son. I didn't wrap it but hung it in my family room, waiting for it to catch someone's eye. He was the first person to notice it, and as it twigged with him what he was looking it, he moved closer. As I watched him he moved in front of it and stood there for the longest time. When I came to him I found him with tears in his eyes. He cherished the moment portrayed in the painting and he will cherish the painting in his own home.


I consider this one of my masterpieces. Of course, sentiment clouds my assessment. This is a painting of my son Jeff and his own son Kale. It portrays Kale at about two and one half years old. He is now four. Kale, like his dad loves water. It’s a good thing that we all live close to White Rock and Crescent Beach. In this painting Kale has found a stone. He has seen his dad and Papa (me) throw stones into the water to make them skip. He has yet to master the art. He needs a little more strength and speed to make it happen. Here he is pictured saying, “Make it skip Daddy.” It’s a father and son moment to be treasured, and now it can be. I painted this for my son. I have had it hanging framed in my family room for the past several days and now am getting reluctant to let it go. But I will let it go. It is their moment.

Part of my reluctance is because the painting marks a stylistic change or adjustment I made with this piece. It is small, 11 X 14 inches. Whereas I have been using larger brushes and larger strokes for a realistic yet impressionistic result, on this canvas I used small brushes for more detailed outcomes. I also accented the lights and darks without feathering the edges. It satisfies me because I am a good drawer and I can retain the penciled features with this more careful approach. I will see as time goes on but I am surmising that I will retain the precision work for the main subject of larger paintings while giving myself liberty on the supportive backgrounds.

This sequence shows you the sketch, then some paint application and the final product.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Terry, you have done some browsing. Thanks for that. I trust that you are keeping well too. I will write an email since I suspect you don't review these again.

    ReplyDelete